Sunday, July 26, 2009

Iranian Election 2009

Iranian Election 2009 Fixed or Not?

The topic I am interested in is the Iranian election, and if it was fixed or not? The first reason that attracted me to this topic was how the rest of the World’s relations with Iran is not the greatest. Especially when it comes to the United States and Iran. Through the last few years the media has portraying Iran as a potential threat to national security for the U.S. Especially with President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who to me is presented as some radical dictator trying to take over the world by some of the media. The fact that thousands of demonstraters took to the streets after the election, shows some reason for concern about the election. Thus resulting, in the Iranian government striking down in brute force. Killing several of the demonstraters and injuring even more.
What really draws me to this topic is growing up in an academic family; where my mom and dad are on opposite sides of the political spectrum. Also being related to a few of are founding fathings like John Marshall and Thomas Jefferson. I feel that a political viewpoint runs in my bloodline. My parents always taught me to form my own opinion on political matters going on in the matter. It also led to some very interesting family conversations during election times. These conversations taught me to think independently, especially in matters like the 2009 Iran election.
In watching and reading about the Iranian election, and the demonstrations a lot came to mind. The fact that their were demonstrations about the election says a lot, but having demonstrators doesn’t mean that the election was fixed. What really interests mean is how the government struck with brute force on the demonstrators then tried to hide it from the world. Though through the internet videos leaked of the incident. Watching some of the videos made me sick. The protestors didn’t have any weapons or anything they were just demonstrating peacefully. Showing how they felt about the election. I thought that if you lived in a country where there is election don’t you have the right to have peacefully rallies; without having to worry about being killed. To mean this is a sign of a government who is abusing their power, and also in a state of panic of some sort.
Another aspect of this topic that interests me is how some of the Religious clerics in Iran are taking the side of Mir-Hossein Mousavi who lost the election. This is extremly interesting , considering that Iran’s Religious leaders have a lot of say and push in the country. Like the above paragraph this shows how the election is causing Irans political leaders to panic. Having some of the different clerics fighting about the election is not good for the countries morale.
For me this topic is one of many different aspects, and varies on who you talk to rather the election was fixed. In my opinion, if it was fixed I will think that we will find out eventually about it. Though through my upbrining what I see is a country in turmoil, with different religious leaders, and political leaders fighting. To me this can be dangerous maybe even resulting in cival war, or even another country having to come in and take matters in their hand( which I am sure some people in the U.S. want this). Through further research on the matter I’ll form a more elaborate opinion, and how it affects world politics.

1 comment:

  1. This really gets at the struggle over those two forms of political legitimacy described by Weber--traditional (religious) and "rational-legal" (that is, elections). I would agree that the leadership in Iran is nervous, and that their "claim to the monopoly on the legitimate use of force" is in question. The role of the media and internet in this all is fascinating as well. I wonder how many Iranians could see some of the footage you saw on line (because it wouldn't be broadcast on the state-run nightly news, that's for sure).

    ReplyDelete