Monday, August 10, 2009

Final Entry

I find it very hard to figure out what my role in addressing and potentially putting an end to climate change could be. I don't think I am going to be able to to have my voice heard at any political rallies or things like that but what I can do is start by changing my own lifestyle. I am indeed a child of carboniferous capitalism. It is pretty much all I know I grew up on a farm, I lived in the country and everywhere I went was in a vehicle. Until about two years ago I had probably pretty much never so much as recycled something in my life.

So what I think I can do to help the cause of climate change would be to change my way of doing things. For example I live about eight blocks from a convenience store which I usually drive to from now on I will walk that distance. I also live about 3-5 miles from school and from work instead of driving there I could bike. When I purchase my own home I will hopefully be able to power at least some of it via solar power. My father runs a farm in Northfield, Mn and within the next couple years or so he plans to put in a wind turbine.

Also I think what I can do to help is spread the word, I think a lot of people just really don't know how bad things could get here in the next forty or fifty years and if they do know it could make all the difference. I will do my best to minimize carbon emissions and greenhouse gases and hopefully I will be buzzing around in a nice little solar or electric car within the next ten years.

Bibliography

Edkins, J., & Zehfuss M. (2009) Global Politics, A New Introduction. New York, U.S.A.

Barringer, Felicity (2008) Polar Bear is Made a Protected Species. New York Times

Mufson, Steven (2007) Climate Change Debate Hinges on Economics. The Washington Post

Erdman, Shelby Lin (2009) Glaciers a Canary in the Coal Mine of Global Warming. CNN

Plumer, Bradford Is There a "safe" Limit for Global Warming. Wall Street Journal

Associated Press (2009) UN Chief Paints Doomsday Climate Picture. FoxNews.com

Anuradha, R.V. (2009) Legalities of Climate Change. Council on Foreign Relations

No comments:

Post a Comment